AUGUST 21 - 27, 2017
The Cambridge site included forty acres of land, stables to house 200 horses, half mile track, 2500 seat grandstand, and seven acres of buildings. In 1929, the fairgrounds obtained electricity. Fairs were not opened during World War II and the fair went into bankruptcy. Started in 1945 by 4-H and FFA, the Washington County Junior Fair organized a two day fair in Fort Edward. In 1954 the Washington County Junior Fair, under the Cambridge Valley Agricultural Society charter, conducted the fair at the corner of Route 29 and 40 in Greenwich where Hannaford and Suburban Propane are now located. This started a working relationship between both group’s Board of Directors.
The Cambridge Valley Agricultural Society and Washington County Junior Fair moved the fair to its present location at the intersection of Route 29 and Old Schuylerville Road in Greenwich, New York in 1961 and buildings started to cover the grounds with one of the first buildings being the A-frame which served as an office. In 1992 the two Boards of Directors combined to become the Washington County Fair, Inc. Many changes have happened to the fair over the years, but it has always served to provide a variety of experiences from entertainment, animals, and food that brings the entire community together to celebrate agriculture.
The history of the Washington County Fair starts in the town of Jackson, New York where the Farmers and Mechanics Agricultural Society held the first “Fair and Exposition” in 1883. The fair stayed at this site, also known as Lake Lauderdale Park, until 1889 when a new society called The Cambridge Valley Agricultural Society and Stock Breeders Association brought the fair to Cambridge, New York. The best way to travel to the fair was by the Delaware & Hudson Canal Co. Railroad. People could buy round trip tickets which included admission to the fair. Some rates were $2.70 from Fort Edward, $2.35 from Fort Ann, and $1.15 from Granville. Also exhibits for the fair were transported for free. The cost of admission was 25 cents and children under 12 paid 10 cents.